Cayuga Birders, if you are as upset by this news of steeply declining bird
populations as I am, please know that there are tangible efforts you can do
to help.  The Lab of Ornithology article about the decline mentions several
things -- keep cats indoors, make your windows less likely to cause birds
to fly into them, plant native shrubs and flowers around your house and
reduce the area in mowed lawn, drink certified bird-friendly coffee, and
don't use chemical insecticides or herbicides.

You also can get involved in the efforts of the Conservation Action
Committee of the Cayuga Bird Club.  Next Monday, the 23rd from about 9 am
to 3 pm we will be working with students from the New Roots Charter School
to work on habitat improvements in Jetty Woods / Lighthouse Point Woods
just north of the City's Newman Golf Course.  We will be removing invasive
plant species, and planting native trees and shrubs.  We have 70 potted
plants to put in the ground.

We need lots of help, even if it is only for an hour or two that day.
Take off work, call in sick, play hooky, and ask a friend to come with
you.  Seriously, we need your help.  If you'd like to give us a hand,
please contact me directly at jodye...@gmail.com so we can best plan the
day.

Thanks and do what you can for birds.
Jody


Jody W. Enck, PhD
Conservation Social Scientist, and
Founder of the Sister Bird Club Network
607-379-5940


On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 4:02 PM Kevin J. McGowan <k...@cornell.edu> wrote:

> Yep, that's what I was talking about.
>
> At 2:00 today, the journal Science
> <https://science.sciencemag.org/cgi/doi/10.1126/science.aaw1313> released
> the results of a study led by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and coauthors
> at six other institutions, showing that 29% of the breeding bird population
> has been lost from the U.S. and Canada since 1970.
>
> Kevin J. McGowan, Ph.D.
> Project Manager
> Distance Learning in Bird Biology
> Cornell Lab of Ornithology
> 159 Sapsucker Woods Road
> Ithaca, NY 14850
> k...@cornell.edu
> 607-254-2452
>
> ------------------------------
> *From:* Magnus Fiskesjo <magnus.fiske...@cornell.edu>
> *Sent:* Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:33 PM
> *To:* CAYUGABIRDS-L <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>; Kevin J. McGowan <
> k...@cornell.edu>; Laura Stenzler <l...@cornell.edu>
> *Subject:* "The mass disappearance of North American birds"
>
> Woa, these may be what you anticipated ...!? Shocking, sad ... / Magnus
>
>
> The Crisis for Birds Is a Crisis for Us All: The mass disappearance of
> North American birds is a dire warning about the planet’s well-being.
> By John W. Fitzpatrick and Peter P. Marra
> Dr. Fitzpatrick is the director of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Dr.
> Marra is the director of the Georgetown Environment Initiative.
> New York Times, Sept. 19, 2019
> https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/19/opinion/crisis-birds-north-america.html
>
> Birds Are Vanishing From North America: The number of birds in the United
> States and Canada has declined by 3 billion, or 29 percent, over the past
> half-century, scientists find. By Carl Zimmer. New York Times, Sept. 19,
> 2019. Updated 3:27 p.m. ET
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/19/science/bird-populations-america-canada.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article
>
>
> --
> Re: Migrants
> From: Kevin J. McGowan
> Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2019 9:26 PM
> To: Laura Stenzler; CAYUGABIRDS-L; Magnus Fiskesjo
>
> "Watch this space!"
>
> Look for some fascinating, and depressing information about this topic in
> the next couple of weeks!
>
> Kevin
>
> Kevin J. McGowan, Ph.D.
> Project Manager
> Distance Learning in Bird Biology
> Cornell Lab of Ornithology
> 159 Sapsucker Woods Road
> Ithaca, NY 14850
> k...@cornell.edu
> 607-254-2452
>
> From: bounce-123920973-3493...@list.cornell.edu <
> bounce-123920973-3493...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Magnus Fiskesjo <
> magnus.fiske...@cornell.edu>
> Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2019 9:10 PM
> To: Laura Stenzler <l...@cornell.edu>; CAYUGABIRDS-L <
> cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
> Subject: RE:[cayugabirds-l] Migrants
>
>
> What a lucky occasion!
>
> Such flocks seem rare. I have not seen any of these birds migrating this
> fall, no warblers, despite a number of excursions. I think I have seen just
> one Yellow-rumped warbler. In Lindsay Parsons the other day, the only
> migrants were 2-3 warbling vireos (also, a couple catbirds and goldfinches,
> but those would be local residents, I think?). Otherwise silent and rather
> empty, and most places seem pretty empty of birds ... is my admittedly
> unscientific overall sense. In birdbooks and online, one often sees notes
> on drastic declines in various birds, because of farming, poisons, etc.
> There was a discussion here earlier, involving experts on numbers of
> breeeding birds, and it was interesting to read, but also inconclusive, and
> I still wonder if there are things to read that sum up what we know of the
> overall big-picture decline of bird numbers, if that is what is happening?
>
> --yrs.
> Magnus Fiskesjö, PhD
> Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology, Cornell University
> McGraw Hall, Room 201. Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
> E-mail: magnus.fiske...@cornell.edu, or: n...@cornell.edu
> ________________________________________
> From: bounce-123920880-84019...@list.cornell.edu [
> bounce-123920880-84019...@list.cornell.edu] on behalf of Laura Stenzler [
> l...@cornell.edu]
> Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2019 7:56 PM
> To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
> Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Migrants
>
> Hi all,
> This evening between 5:30 and 7 pm there was a large migrant flock moving
> around our yard on Hunt Hill Rd, east of Ithaca. They went back and forth
> and generally stayed in the vicinity, which I found unusual and wonderful.
> As always, they were moving fast from spot to spot, hiding behind leaves
> and generally being a pain to identify. But I did see the following:
> Swainson's Thrush
> Robin
> Parula Warbler
> Magnolia Warbler
> Baybreasted Warbler
> Tennessee Warbler
> Black and White Warbler
> Chestnut sided Warbler
> Common Yellow Throat
> Red-eyed Vireo
> Catbird
> Chipping Sparrow
> Phoebe
> Eastern Wood pewee
> Titmouse
> Goldfinch
> Chickadee
> Hummingbird
>
> Plus a couple of warblers I was unsure about.  Possible Pine Warbler and
> Blackpoll Warbler. But I am not confident about either.
> It was a fun and amazing 1 1/2 hours!
>
> Cheers!
> Laura
>
> Laura Stenzler
> l...@cornell.edu
> --
> Cayugabirds-L List Info:
> Welcome and Basics<http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME>
> Rules and Information<http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES>
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave<
> http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
> >
> Archives:
> The Mail Archive<
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
> Surfbirds<http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/Cayugabirds>
> BirdingOnThe.Net<http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/CAYU.html>
> Please submit your observations to eBird<http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>!
> --
> --
>
> Cayugabirds-L List Info:
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/CayugabirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
>
> ARCHIVES:
> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
> 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/Cayugabirds
> 3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/CAYU.html
>
> Please submit your observations to eBird:
> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
>
> --
>
> --
> *Cayugabirds-L List Info:*
> Welcome and Basics <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME>
> Rules and Information <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES>
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
> *Archives:*
> The Mail Archive
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
> Surfbirds <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/Cayugabirds>
> BirdingOnThe.Net <http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/CAYU.html>
> *Please submit your observations to eBird
> <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>!*
> --
>

--

Cayugabirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/CayugabirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/Cayugabirds
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/CAYU.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to