1. Why are european starlings declining?  That is crazy but concerning when
a seemingly adaptable invasive specie is dying off.
2. Could it be related (in part) to West Nile Virus?
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/11/west-nile-virus-still-wiping-out-birds-across-north-america
3. Grassland birds have been declining for decades and will continue unless
farming practices are changed and more bird friendly.  In the northeast
U.S, we have lost many farms and they have reverted back to woodlands. I
see this in many areas of Bradford Co. PA where I grew up. I remember a lot
of field birds in places that are now full of saplings 30 feet tall.
4. Rampant deer populations destroying undergrowth for many ground
nesters.  The DEC locally needs to find a solution here. This is
manageable!
5. Pesticides and herbicides (especially the lawn treatments) which are so
common. I always wonder how this affects Robins and other birds that forage
on the ground. I never use this stuff on my "lawn" and it has a lot of
weeds. So what.  I could care less what people think.
6. Spruce budworm population cycles in our boreal forests. This could
explain decline in warblers since there was a massive outbreak of budworms
in the 70s and 80s. Many warbler's populations are tied to these cycles.
The 1990s and 2000s there was a lull and now they are on their way up
again. This could explain a more natural cycle in warbler populations
independent of vireos. (this is speculation).
7. More towers and wind farms?  If a wind farm and tower are lighted
properly does it kill that many songbirds at night?  The FCC has new
guidelines which supposedly reduces tower kills.
https://abcbirds.org/article/communication-tower-owners-change-lighting-protect-birds/
 Not sure if this is working but hopefully so.
8. Invasive species.  Look at the wholesale changes when all of our ash
trees die, hemlocks and others. Also invasive fish, plants etc.

There is probably many others which is sobering.