I was joined by 12 eager birders on this sunny but very chilly Saturday
morning. We started by going to Stewart Park to see what was on the water. On
the east side of the park we were treated to a nice collection of waterfowl,
with highlights including Wood Ducks, Ruddy Ducks, and a few Aythya including
Lesser Scaup, Redheads, and Ring-necked Ducks. It was hard to see much that was
far out on the water because of the extreme shimmer. The Swan Pen area was
lively with Passerines, including Goldfinch, House Finch, countersinging
Carolina Wrens, and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Here's the Ebird checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S61487073.

We then went North, stopping first at Ladoga where we the best find was a pair
of Long-tailed Ducks, and a pair of White-winged Scoter. At Myer's, we found a
nice Lesser Black-backed Gull on the spit, but diversity was otherwise very
low: https://ebird.org/checklist/S61492343.

We headed towards the Aurora Boathouse, first stopping in King Ferry at the
coffee shop. As we descended into Aurora, we could see huge rafts of Snow Geese
far out on the lake. Just judging from the scale, there must have been tens of
thousands of birds in three large groups. At the boathouse itself, the wind had
picked up a bit to make it quite cold , and the shimmer again made it really
difficult to see far away birds, so we could only barely make out the distant
snow geese. In consolation we had a Bald Eagle soaring over the location where
they nest. https://ebird.org/checklist/S61492068.

Finally, we decided to make one last stop at Long Point on the way home. This
yielded a few loons, but not much else: https://ebird.org/checklist/S61491877.
The only other bird of note was a Pheasant that flew across the road on the way
back.

Despite the cold, the shimmer, and the low diversity, we all had a great day.

-Paul

--
Paul Anderson, VP of Engineering, GrammaTech, Inc.
531 Esty St., Ithaca, NY 14850

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments from GrammaTech,
Inc may contain confidential and/or proprietary information, and is intended
only for the named recipient to whom it was originally addressed. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, distribution, or copying of this
e-mail or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments.