Good evening all!

The Montezuma Audubon Center has just posted our event schedule coming up
beginning on Jan 1 with a First Day Hike! I've highlighted several events
below, but please see our complete listing at: Montezuma Audubon Center Winter
2020
Progams<https://ny.audubon.org/education/montezuma-audubon-center-programs-and-events>.
 To register, feel free to reply directly back to me, or call us at (315)
365-3588. Please note that the MAC will be closed until January 2nd.

First Day Snowshoe Hike
Wednesday, Jan. 1, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Join us to ring in 2020 by strapping on snowshoes and taking a leisurely 1-mile
hike through snow muffled forests, across restored grasslands and around frozen
marshes to explore hearty winter birds and look for signs of mammals. We have a
special commemorative gift for you to take home and will raffle off a 2020
Empire State Park pass, provided by NYS Parks. *Note- if conditions are not
conducive for snowshoeing, we will still hike.  After the hike, you are invited
inside to warm up with a cup of hot cocoa. Fee: FREE! Pre-registration is
required as snowshoes are limited.

Nature of Montezuma Lecture Series: The History of Howland's Island
Saturday, Jan. 11, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Travel back in time with local archaeological enthusiast Christopher Cramer,
Town of Montezuma Historian Cheryl Longyear, and Montezuma Audubon Educator
Alyssa Johnson as they explore the known history of Howland's Island during the
last 500 years. Native American history to present day NYSDEC ownership will be
discussed and illustrated with locally found artifacts, historical maps, and a
variety of photographs.  Fee: $5/child, $10/adult, $25/family, FREE for Friends
of the Montezuma Wetlands Complex.

Introduction to eBird and the New York State Breeding Bird Atlas
Saturday, Jan. 18, 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Jumpstart your birdwatching adventures by learning about two community science
programs. eBird helps you and scientists keep track of birds you've seen and in
so doing you contribute to a global effort to track bird populations. After a
hands-on demo of how to use the eBird app and website, you'll learn how you can
use your new skills for the third New York Breeding Bird Atlas, a five-year
community science project that will form the definitive resource to guide bird
conservation in New York. Please bring a laptop, tablet, or smartphone and
create a free eBird account at ebird.org prior to the event. If you bring a
mobile device, please install the free eBird app and make sure you can sign in
to your account. Appropriate for ages 12 and up. Fee: $5/child, $10/adult,
$25/family. FREE for Friends of the Montezuma Wetlands Complex. Pre-paid
reservations required.

Owl Prowl
Saturday, Feb. 22, 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Get up close to live owls during an indoor presentation by KrittrKris and
Feathered Friends and find out what special adaptations these birds have that
allow them to survive the winter months. Then, join Audubon staff for a stroll
through Montezuma's grasslands to search for the endangered Short-eared Owls.
It will be a real hoot! Fee: $5/child, $10/adult, $25/family.

Bird Dissection & Discussion Workshop
Saturday, March 7, 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Join us to learn how the Montezuma Audubon Center came to be in possession of
these federally protected migratory birds. From heron to hummingbird, if you
have ever wanted to see and examine a variety of wild birds up close and
personal, this is your chance. Participants will explore the internal and
external anatomy of birds and be guided through a dissection to learn about
their unique adaptations. Each participant will be provided a study specimen, a
dissection kit, disposable gloves, and a face mask. No parts or pieces of the
birds may be kept by participants. Headlamps are recommended.  Appropriate for
children ages 12+ and must be accompanied by a parent. Fee: $15/child,
$20/adult, $40/family. Pre-paid reservations required.

Happy holidays, and winter birding!

Alyssa

--
Alyssa Johnson