As someone studying redwing nesting and nestlings in the 89-2000 region, I can
say they were incredibly variable 3 decades ago.  They could easily show up in
February when the winter was warm.  We had actual females back in a marsh near
Binghamton/Endicott as early as February.  Usually females did not show up
until late march.  I don’t mean nest, just be seen in flocks and maybe visit
the marsh.

In the years 95 and 97-98, which were incredibly warm winters, we had redwings
at feeders being reported all winter—some people were emailing me!  In 98, a
very warm spring, I had two first year females that were banded on Cornell
ponds (by me) back on the ponds in spring…possible explanation was that they
never went anywhere all winter and thus failed to disperse.

Redwinged blackbird males were also staying all winter or reappearing during
the winter in SW Michigan in the 80’s,  in warm ups, like robins.  Not many but
some.  These are birds whose migratory pattern set them up well to respond
strongly to climatic shifts.

No doubt that the mean dates have shifted, but I can look up first arrivals and
first egg dates across the 90’s decade at some point, for comparsion—at some
point!

Anne B Clark
147 Hile School Rd
Freeville, NY 13068