Hello all, my wife and I were exploring the northwest side of Cayuga Lake
yesterday the 24th, on a very warm (50-54 degrees) and sunny day. Sheldrake
Point was unremarkable but with the only goldeneye flock of the day. The real
action was along Lower Lake Rd from Hwy 89 to the state park HQ. Massive
numbers of chiefly Redheads and Canvasbacks stretched for a couple of miles and
in various skeins out from shore. All I could do is a gross estimate of well
over ten thousand waterfowl, and then attempt some rough percentages. Here goes:
Redhead 75%
Canvasback 20%
Northern Pintail 2%
Lesser Scaup 1-2%
<1% Mallard
<1% Am Black Duck
And ONE male American Wigeon!
In addition there were 1500 Canada Geese, about 100 Tundra Swans, and 20
American Coots in their favored cove.
Out much farther in the lake were rafts of chiefly Common Mergansers, I
estimated 500.
Farther out still along the far shore to the east was a massive flock of Snow
Geese, wheeling about in the heat shimmer.
It was difficult to pin a number down in eBird on these species. Rather
conservative estimates was the best I could do.
There were at least 5 Bald Eagles, probably a few more, going up and down the
shore. One was an adult and at one point there were 4 immatures out on the ice.
There was more to come! On Farron Rd to the east of the airport there was a
large flock of Snow Buntings that I estimated at 1500 birds. Mostly seen in the
air, but they did land once close to previous roost spots of a Snowy Owl along
the eastern berms of the runway. Stunning in the light of the lowering sun.
Wait, still more. On rte 129 to the south near Vineyard Rd, we were treated to
roughly 4000 Snow Geese flying fairly close to overhead in many skeins coming
out from the SE and away from Cayuga Lake. This was around 1530 hrs.
Good birding!
Jared Dawson
Trumansburg