I just returned from a long morning’s walk in the McIlroy Preserve, Summerhill
NY. By far the greatest highlight was a WINTER WREN singing lustily from along
side the yellow trail (keep right on the way in). It came to within 20 feet of
me in response to playback and went on to sing continuously for at least five
minutes.

The other highlight was a Red-bellied Woodpecker calling and drumming in the
marshy area at the SW corner of the preserve. It eventually disappeared from
view and then emerged (head only) from a cavity, continuing to call.

Bob McGuire