Ken, Diane, and I drove up the lake today in search of migrants. I am sorry
that we were not able to invite others as it would have meant a long string of
cars. It was a great day to be out, and there were lots of parties along the
Wildlife Drive.

Diane has already posted the major find of the day - a Little Gull foraging
serenely just offshore south of the Aurora Bluffs. It was a perfect
waterfowl-viewing day: no wind, no shimmer. The LIGU was in a flock of up to
100 Bonaparte’s Gulls and gave great looks for the 45 minutes that we were
there. We first noticed it because it was strikingly smaller than the
surrounding BOGUs, and the tips of the folded primaries were white. At one
point it took flight, displaying the dark undersides and rounded tips of the
wings.

Other birds of note were: two distant Red-necked Grebes off Myers Park, a pair
of FOY Blue-winged Teal on the Wildlife Drive, Sandhill Cranes at
Knox-Marcellus and Marten’s Tract, a Virginia Rail kick-kidicking at Marten’s,
Greater Yellowlegs and a single Dunlin at Carncross Rd, and Ospreys everywhere
(it seemed).

I really, really regret having to cancel the CBC field trips for this spring -
and hope that everyone will make an effort to get out birding and report their
experiences here.

Bob