Reuben Stoltzfus just told me about a Sandhill Crane nest he saw yesterday from
the Main Pool tower at Montezuma NWR, looking north about 200yards just on the
far side of a water channel. The adults were well camouflaged and they had at
least 1 very tiny chick, so small that it seemed not to have left the nest. I
don’t know how long that situation would last while waiting for egg #2 to
hatch, or whether they would continue to brood the young or return there, but
it may be worth looking for today or tomorrow, as well as scanning closely for
the adults in the vicinity.

- - Dave Nutter