A lifer for me!

I work at the Montezuma Audubon Center, and earlier today someone sent us a
picture saying she thinks her husband saw a blue grosbeak at work, which is at
the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo. I confirmed the picture ID, and made
some calls and was able to meet up with the district manager of the landfill,
as well as the original spotter, Dan. Dan graciously took me to the spot where
this male blue grosbeak has been observed since Monday attacking his reflection
in windows and mirrors of the heavy equipment. It was certainly a blue
grosbeak! I will be posting pictures to the MAC fb page later, and have of
course reported to eBird.

The location of the bird is literally in the dead center of the landfill. It is
not easily accessible, and I don’t know if I could find that spot again without
an escort. I did warn the district manager though that people may be contacting
them to see for themselves!

Happy birding!

Alyssa Johnson
Environmental Educator