I will just offer the observation made several times while studying nesting
redwinged blabkbirds at the Cornell ponds that no males arrived with bald heads
but quite a few
Showed missing patches during EARLy breeding season while disputes were common.
At least once a fully feathered banded male had a down and out fight, flew off
but was back trying to retake his territory the next day...with a bald spot.

Whatever other explanations may pertain, male-male fights contribute I feel
sure.
Balding blue jays show up after breeding during post-juvenile and post breeding
molts, I agree. Have seen. Not just their heads look ratty.

Sent from my iPhone