Hi Diana and Cayugabirders,

Here is what birdsoftheworld.org (formerly Birds of North America online) says
about Prothonotary Warbler nesting:

<Nest Site
Selection Process
Males establish territories around one or several suitable nest sites, and
place moss inside cavities before females arrive. Male displays at each cavity.
Female selects nest cavity from among those available. Settlement by female is
related partly to quality or number of nest cavities available>
and
<Nest
Construction Process
Male places moss in potential nest sites. Amount of moss varies from several
pieces to foundation 1–8 cm deep, and male may fashion nest cup in moss. Female
alone constructs remainder of nest and lining, with male accompanying but not
assisting. >
and
<Nonbreeding Nests
Males place various amounts of moss (but not complete nests) in all available
cavities within their territory.>

No mention of larvae. I can't quite tell what kind of larvae they are from the
one photo I can see on your site. But very interesting observation. I didn't
notice anything like this obvious new hatch of larvae on the 3 boxes I observed
there last week at Armitage Rd. I also saw/heard at least 3 different males
along the road.

Marie

Marie Read Wildlife Photography
452 Ringwood Road
Freeville NY  13068 USA

e-mail   m...@cornell.edu
Website:     http://www.marieread.com

AUTHOR of:
Mastering Bird Photography: The Art, Craft, and Technique of Photographing
Birds and Their Behavior

https://rockynook.com/shop/photography/mastering-bird-photography/?REF=101/