Howland Island once had farms, and there is an old network of dirt roads, now
crisscrossing between recently created dams.

So, mostly one can just walk along those dirt roads, starting from either of
the 2 access points, which is as far that one's car can go, and see the woods,
the fields, and the dams.

I would go online, find a detailed map, print, and bring while walking. F ex:
https://friendsofmontezuma.org/visit-the-mwc/northern-montezuma/
https://friendsofmontezuma.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Northern-Montezuma-North-Public-Access-2016.jpg

Another good map here, halfway down the page:
https://cnyhiking.com/HowlandIsland.htm

For a truly exhilarating experience, bring your mountain bike, as I did once.
Then you can bike around everywhere.

Or, your kayak, as I have heard people also do -- the "island" is surrounded by
a river/canal, that becomes impassable in late summer.

In late summer it also becomes mosquito hell. August is best avoided, if you
don't have a head net, full gloves, and thick clothes -- I doubt there are
sprays that can deal with the onslaught. Other than mosquito storms, there are
also nasty flies that bite you quite painfully (in August, that is).

So now is the time.

ps. Alyssa Johnson at the Montezuma Audobon [alyssa.john...@audubon.org]
recently did a brilliant session on Howland Island's history, online, with a
Powerpoint. Very rewarding. But she later said the recording of the session on
Zoom failed (as Zoom often does, apparently, routed through China and all), and
she was going to re-record her presentation and upload it. But I can't find it
on their webpage.

--yrs.
Magnus Fiskesjö, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology, Cornell University
McGraw Hall, Room 201. Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
E-mail: magnus.fiske...@cornell.edu, or: n...@cornell.edu

Affiliations at Cornell University, WWW:
Anthropology Department, https://anthropology.cornell.edu/anthropology-faculty
Southeast Asia Program (SEAP), https://seap.einaudi.cornell.edu/people/faculty
East Asia Program (EAP), http://eap.einaudi.cornell.edu/people/core-faculty
CIAMS (Archaeology), https://archaeology.cornell.edu/faculty
Cornell Institute for Public Affairs (CIPA),
cipa.cornell.edu/academics/fieldfaculty.cfm
Judith Reppy Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies (PACS),
http://pacs.einaudi.cornell.edu/people/steering-committee