________________________________
From: Johnson, Alyssa <alyssa.john...@audubon.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:37 PM
To: Sandra Lynn Babcock
Subject: Re: Howland Island question

This is the response (plus a little more) that I sent to Sandra:

I work at the Audubon Center which is very close, just a few miles from HI.
It’s all part of the NYSDEC Northern Montezuma Wildlife Management Area- not
the refuge. You can access the island from Carncross Rd in Savannah, and can
actually drive into the island and park. There is no driving loop like there is
at the refuge.  There are access roads all over the island, but they aren’t
marked and there aren’t really marked trails either, but the roads are great
for walking, biking, birding, etc. You can also access the island from Howland
Island Rd in Port Byron, but you have to park at the dead end and walk across
the bridge. Birding is great this time of year and not many bugs yet.

Here’s a link to some more info. I’d suggest having a charged phone so you can
look at the map. If you stick to the road, it’s hard to get lost but there are
miles of road, so keep track of where you are.

https://friendsofmontezuma.org/visit-the-mwc/northern-montezuma/

Cerulean warblers have been heard throughout the island. If you go on the
Carncross Rd side, once you’re on the island the road narrows and woods close
in on either side before going uphill to the parking area. It’s pretty wet in
there’ll either side, so that’s where I’d look. If you canoe or kayak, you can
launch from Carncross at the bridge and go north. I’ve heard them up there too
along the Seneca River.

And here is a link to a presentation I gave about the History of Howland’s
Island.

https://www.facebook.com/MontezumaAudubonCenter/videos/694204178001191/?d=n

Enjoy!

Alyssa Johnson