Devastating news. Each time I have gone down there I have enjoyed seeing
that group of bachelor mallards. What a sick act.
Gary, will you be contacting the DEC?  I want so much to do something but
what can we do? I am gutted.

Melissa

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 11:07 AM Sandy Podulka <s...@cornell.edu> wrote:

> That is also one of my favorite places!
>
> I have seen 4 male Mallards in that small pond consistently this spring
> (but not today, and I guess I now know why).
> I have no idea what could kill so many birds in such an odd way except a
> hunter, or maybe a group of hunters--I would think an owl wouldn't have a
> chance at all of them at once, as the others would fly off.
>
> So sorry to hear this. As we are learning in so many ways these days,
> people can be truly cruel.
>
> Sandy Podulka
>
> At 10:08 AM 5/31/2020, Gary Kohlenberg wrote:
>
> Saturday I walked with my daughter down Shindagin Hollow Rd., in the State
> Forest, to the intersection with Gulf Creek Rd. for exercise, fun and to
> show her the area. It was very birdy and beautiful as usual especially the
> beaver pond at the bottom of the hill. This place always reminds me of the
> Adirondacks and is a favorite of mine.
>
> There was a surprising amount of traffic on Shindagin Rd. both cars and
> mountain bikers savoring the nice day. Some out of state plates on cars of
> dozens parked at the intersection and FLT crossing. I was reminded how
> popular this area is and how much we need wild areas during a pandemic.
>
> We were amazed at how many Red Newts were crossing the road. Some didn’t
> make it unharmed, but most of them did. I learned about their life cycle,
> that they are toxic, but contain off the charts cuteness. We tried to help
> a couple on the journey, but they are very independent minded and don’t
> need any intervention.
>
> We noticed a dead bird in the pond by the outflow pipe under the road; a
> dead male Mallard. Kayla thought it quite interesting and checked to find
> it had no head. I thought that was weird, but I have seen it before, and
> guessed maybe an owl had decapitated it. I’m not actually positive owls
> would or could do this, but seem to remember some discussion about this. If
> anyone knows if it can be a thing please enlighten me.
>
> I scanned the pond and saw movement which was another male Mallard
> struggling in the water. His body floated with the head hanging underwater
> unable to lift it up. He may have had a broken neck. I wasn’t able to
> reach the poor guy to end his misery which made me sad. More scanning found
> a third male Mallard floating in the pond dead. I didn’t see any more,
> but there could have been one in the grass. Three seems like a typical
> total for this small water to hold on any particular day.
>
> My hypothesis is that they were all shot on the water with a shotgun. To
> cleanly decapitate a bird the shot would have to be at very close range.
> The other birds could have all been hit with the same shot if they had been
> swimming very together. This water is very small and birds not hit would
> have flown and probably circled around. It’s not likely they would have
> been shot in the air and fallen back into this small area.
>
> This poaching event is very disturbing and we had another event like this
> [...]

Melissa Groo

Associate Fellow, International League of Conservation Photographers
Wildlife Columnist, Outdoor Photographer magazine
Contributing Editor, Audubon magazine
Ambassador, Project Coyote
Represented by National Geographic Image Collection

www.melissagroo.com

Online photography course to be released by Cornell Lab of Ornithology in
June
<https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/new-course-this-summer-bird-photography-with-melissa-groo/>

New Nat Geo story:
The uplifting tale of these tiny island foxes, nearly wiped out by disaster
<https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/04/santa-cruz-island-foxes/>

Come visit the Melissa Groo Gallery at Audubon Greenwich
<http://greenwich.audubon.org/melissa-groo-gallery>!

<http://www.facebook.com/melissa.groo>

<https://www.instagram.com/melissagroo/>

Instagram @melissagroo