The Cornell compost facility on Stevenson Road has been pretty dull since the
shutdown. It's always slow this time of year anyway, but the near absence of
students, and apparently changed processing of dorm food (take out not
composted?) has meant that it's been slim pickings for crows and gulls. All
they seem to be finding are eggs and the odd dead pheasant.

I check the compost every weekend anyway, looking for tagged crows. Saturday I
had an adult SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER along the second drainage pond, in with at
least 10 Killdeer. The past few weeks I have been having 6 Killdeer (2 parents
and 4 locally produced juveniles) and a Spotted Sandpiper (didn't see
yesterday). You can check my eBird checklist for some crude photos of the
Semipalmated: https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S71603590.

Apparently John Garrett and Tom Schulenberg had a LEAST SANDPIPER in the same
place today. John's checklist, https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S71629148,
contains 2 photos that are clearly not the same bird I saw Saturday. Leg color,
bill shape, and markings on the chest and back differ significantly.

It's always a surprise to remember that shorebird migration is already in swing
here in July. The two sandpipers at the compost this weekend were kind of
ragged adults. One presumes their nesting attempts up on the tundra failed, and
it was time to get going south.

So be on the lookout. The only reliable place for shorebirds at the south end
of the lake is Myers Point. But watch for shorebirds on any patch of mud, pond,
or puddle.

Best,

Kevin