Hi All,
After a fun and productive morning birding out at Lindsay-Parson's Nature
Preserve (Coleman Lake has some of the best shorebird habitat in the county
right now), I stopped by Stewart Park around noon.  Lots of people and hot,
but some fun birds, too.  The Blue-winged Teal reported a couple days ago
by Jay McGowan was with the Mallards off-shore on the east side.  While
scoping through the ducks and gulls over there, I was slightly surprised to
spy 2 Pied-billed Grebes.  A couple of Spotted Sandpipers and a single
Least Sandpiper were along the shoreline down closer to the Boat House.
Among the willow branches at the waterline across Fall Creek from the Boat
House, I found a gorgeous, immature Black-crowned Night-heron.

I saw 40 species at Lindsay-Parsons, and I missed probably 5-6 species seen
by 3 other Cayuga Bird Club members who I ran into out there.

August is a great month to go birding.  Arguably, more birds now than at
any other time of year because of all the successful breeding.  Plus, lots
of post-breeding movements of birds into places where they can find food.
Fall migration is definitely underway for some species, especially
shorebirds.  I did not know that Coleman Lake had been partially drained to
repair the dike at the outlet.  Lots of good shorebird habitat there.  I
saw a pretty big number of Solitary Sandpipers, along with Spotted
Sandpipers, Killdeer, and a couple flocks of Least Sandpipers.

Go birding!

Jody W. Enck, PhD
Conservation Social Scientist, and
Founder of the Sister Bird Club Network