A leisurely stroll around the Newman Arboretum at the edge of Cornell
Campus this afternoon around 2:00 took a dramatic turn when a huge falcon
flew in to chase off the Turkey Vultures that were sitting on the tower at
the top of the hill (far east end of road, here
<https://goo.gl/maps/h7GUG3huUYMhwrQK9>.) Although gyr was my immediate
first impression, the surrealness of the situation made it take a couple of
minutes to convince myself that it was indeed a dark juvenile GYRFALCON and
not a monstrous Peregrine. It sat on the tower for a few minutes before
taking off again to head away to the WNW, where we quickly lost it behind
trees. I didn't really get a sense for how far it went or where it was
headed, but much of campus or the south end of Cayuga Lake are in that
direction. A quick check of Stewart Park immediately after did not turn up
any raptors or agitated-looking waterfowl.

It was much browner and streakier than the birds I'm used to seeing, but
the overall size and shape, especially in direct flight, screamed Gyr. I
could see the legs fairly well in photos, and it did not show any bands or
jesses. It's a sensitive species on eBird so the checklist link won't help,
but you can see the photos in media search:
https://search.macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=gyrfal&mediaType=p&regionCode=US-NY-109&cap=all&includeUnconfirmed=T

And of course, it's clearly a different bird than the adult being seen near
the quarry near Seneca Falls (which was seen this afternoon as well as the
past couple of days).

Jay

--
Jay McGowan