From: bounce-125194860-79436...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-125194860-79436...@list.cornell.edu> On Behalf Of metet...@gmail.com
Sent: Saturday, December 5, 2020 11:28 AM
To: Cayuga Birds <Cayugabirds-L@cornell.edu>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Montezuma crane breeding success?

The numbers of Sandhill Cranes are now about double any previous year by my
marginal memory’s recollection.  The highest I remember 2 years ago was around
127 (but eBird search experts can correct me). If y happy just enjoying the
beautiful flock stop reading.! Based on this year’s nesting stories that I
either saw, heard or read about the refuge didn’t contribute much. First, I
read of a pair that had 2 young near the main pool observation tower. That went
down to one young then I heard none. The DEC staff told me that a pair at
Morgan road had one bird disappear long enough to hopefully incubate but
rejoined the other with no young in tow. The Carncross Road pair appeared
together often but no baby. Joann and I found one on a nest at the Sandhill
Crane unit. They hatched one young but that bird disappeared a short week
later. Finally a pair at Knox showed up with a fledgling and as far a I know
that was the only refuge success. I hope others have better stories as I heard
talk of pairs on Howland Island and at the MAC. The first post nesting
gathering at Knox that I saw were consistent with this as I remember a dozen
with 1 juvenile. Then they came from everywhere apparently. Yay!
   This number also starts concerns with me about potential future hunting. I
don’t know where our birds winter but know that the eastern population can be
hunted in Tennessee, Kentucky and starting last year Alabama. Its pretty
unlikely that the hunters here won’t want to shoot the “ribeyes of the sky” so
start campaigning to have them protected! Mike Tetlow

Sent from my iPhone