Has this been reported in any of the local presses? That might be a
good place to start increasing awareness.
More generally, I'm not finding any web presence at all describing
this issue with any authority.

Are the homeowners along the lakeshore and nearby aware of this? They
would seem most likely to be directly impacted, and most motivated to
actively do something about it.

Suan