For the last 10 months I have sharply curtailed my travel, both on account of
the pandemic and to eliminate my birding carbon footprint. Meanwhile I have
been paying closer attention to feeder birds than ever before. Maybe other
folks who have longer experience carefully noting who comes to their feeders
can answer me this:

Is it unusual to have male American Goldfinches already beginning to molt into
breeding plumage in the middle of January? Yesterday I noticed at least 2 with
black speckles appearing on their foreheads, and one of those even has a single
bright yellow arched eyebrow, like a tiny quizzical Mr. Spock. I noticed these
birds at a time when I also had a new maximum number of American Goldfinches,
so I guess it’s possible that it’s these individual birds’ presence rather than
their plumage that has changed. So, my alternative question is: Have other
feeder watchers seen male American Goldfinches retaining black speckles on the
forehead or asymmetrical bright yellow patches beyond the typical autumn molt
time and into the winter?

Thanks.

- - Dave Nutter