From: bounce-125328763-3494...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-125328763-3494...@list.cornell.edu> On Behalf Of David Nicosia
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2021 8:41 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Red-Tailed Hawk borealis vs abieticola subspecies
Stevenson Road Game Farm Today

All,

I spent some time watching the numerous RED-TAILED HAWKs on Stevenson Road over
the Game Farm. Two subspecies (I believe) were present (see photos in ebird
report).

<goog_2067466959>
https://ebird.org/checklist/S79764223

I noticed much darker markings on some RED-TAILED HAWKs which I believe are the
abieticola subspecies or "northern" RED-TAILED HAWK. There were many with
lighter markings which is the borealis subspecies that nests here and is our
"eastern" RED-TAILED HAWK. This is kind of backwards since "boreal" usually
means north!

In any event, this is a neat place to study RED-TAILED HAWKS since there are so
many here!  I have seen a few abieticola subspecies in Broome County but there
seemed to be at least several here.

There was also a large flock of EUROPEAN STARLINGs of which I found 4
BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS. They are not rare but neat to see in winter.  I also
enjoyed seeing the many TURKEY VULTURES, again not rare here, but quite rare in
Broome County in winter. I didn't see any BLACK VULTURES which are being seen
here regularly.

I didn't go to the compost piles opting to stay on Stevenson road.
Best,
Dave Nicosia
Welcome and Basics
Rules and Information