With the sunny weather I decided to take the afternoon off and drive
around north of Lansing looking for field birds. With the high snow
depth they were pretty easy to encounter, foraging by roadsides and
flushing on approach. Those wanting to look for them, just drive
slowly along any of the less-traveled roads between big fields.

I stopped to photograph three main groups with different dynamics. The
first had about a dozen each of Horned Larks and Snow Buntings, and
they tended to hang out with their own species but loosely associated
with each other. This was somewhere along Conlon Road, I think (I need
to take better mental notes). Also had a Common Redpoll flock of about
a dozen somewhere here. The second group along Indian Field Road just
north of 90 was smaller, about a dozen Horned Larks with 3-4 Snow
Buntings and two Lapland Longspurs (lifers for me, actually). I'm
guessing because the Snow Bunting number was smaller, the group tended
to stay together more as one group. Before I left a lone Common
Redpoll also joined this group. The third group was a very large flock
of 100+ snow buntings around Fennel and Snushal Roads, big enough to
murmurate like starlings.

An interesting observation was that the smaller groups were more
approachable than the large flock. The common redpoll flock was most
approachable, while the smaller field bird flocks were a close second.
I'm guessing that the flushing dynamic of these flocks relates to a
single individual sounding an alarm that triggers the flush, and that
the large flock was more likely to have the one jumpy individual to
sound the alarm to trigger the flock to flush, but this is just
conjecture. Also, flushing behavior on foot vs. by car was noticeably
different: on foot they tended to fly farther away while in the car
they seemed to only flush a shorter distance. When the birds were
backlit I actually had trouble driving to the other side of the flock,
as I just kept pushing them down the road bit by bit -- I might have
had better luck if I drove by fast.

Finally, at Salt Point I flushed a/the continuing Killdeer from the beach.

Suan