Hi all,

Just wanted to share a few spots where SEOW viewing is possible.

Last night about 5:30, I drove through the "Route 31 Muck Flats" and on the
eastern half, before you go over the Seneca River bridge I saw two flying high
together. They were fighting or playing, not sure because I was driving and
couldn't stop there. But they were definitely SEOWs and interacting. A friend
of mine drove through that same spot an hour prior and said she had great views
of them as she was driving, and even one landing and sitting in a tree right
along 31.

>From there, I was headed to West Loop Rd/CR 38 in Montezuma. Once you go over
>the bridge (on 31) look for W. Loop Rd on your left, turn up there. In 2018-19
>(I believe) the DEC and Ducks Unlimited were working on a big project at the
>flood plain there right between West Loop Rd and the Seneca River. That's a
>seasonally flooded area, and gets quite wet in the spring. Last year record
>numbers of Northern Pintails were counted there in March during the peak of
>the waterfowl migration. At this time of year though, it's a frozen
>grassland/wetland and has been a regular viewing area for SEOWs and Northern
>Harriers. They are repeatedly being documented during the Winter Raptor Survey
>the DEC conducts. I wanted to see if I could find them there, and as I was
>driving up, I saw one immediately. There is a little gravel pull off similar
>to the one on East Road, but it hasn't been plowed. There are quite a few
>houses on the east side of the road, but on the west side, that gives the
>better viewing, there are not. It's a pretty quiet road, especially at SEOW
>time of day (after 4pm). Just be careful as there are not great shoulders to
>pull off, with all this snow! Please be cognizant of not blocking driveways,
>we don't want to wear out our welcome. I plan on speaking with homeowners
>along there when given the opportunity and share with them what we're looking
>at! We got to watch it hunting in the snow until it was too dark to see. It
>gave us great views flying back and forth, getting fairly close a few times,
>and diving for prey. Here's a map: https://goo.gl/maps/1dHfjU47ViK11TVRA I
>will definitely return with a tour group to share these owls with them.

Also, I haven't personally seen owls here recently, but they are also being
seen from Carncross Road (The seasonal part of the road IS NOT PLOWED, I highly
advise to not drive down towards the Island, YOU WILL GET STUCK). And also from
Morgan Road at the end where the DEC offices are.

Earlier in the afternoon, I checked the Reese/Seyboult Rd gas well Snowy Owl
spot, and did not see an owl. I very briefly pulled into the Finger Lakes
Regional Airport, hoping to ask an employee for intel, but no one was around. I
was leading a tour, so time was of the essence, I didn't have time to spend a
ton of time there and scope. The snow banks were high, so it's hard to see in
the fences there at the terminal building. I did not drive the block around the
airport and look either. We did have some great views of Horned Larks there in
the snow by the driveway!

All in all, great trip. The antics of the SEOWs really made the day!

Stay warm!
Alyssa

--
Alyssa Johnson