Hi All,

Yesterday (28 Feb) I went to Allan H Treman State Park to check on the progress
of migration (big news: the Northern Pintails - at least 10 - from the day
before had all departed, and the Lesser Scaups were the #2 Aythya species in
the raft, Canvasback numbers being a tenth of what they had been).

At about 12:25 I noticed a gull standing on the ice in the very corner of the
lake, a gull which I thought might be a juvenile Glaucous Gull because it
looked very pale, and it had a long pink bill with a small black tip. It had to
be bigger than a Herring Gull which was in the foreground, although given the
variation in size among Herring Gulls, and that their distance away from each
other was small compared to their distance to me, their difference in size may
not have been significant. I took a photo of it through my scope then continued
viewing it while I waited for a view of its wingtips. When the birds shifted I
was disappointed to see its wingtips were not white but light brown, darker
than the body generally, which I figured ruled out Glaucous Gull. I also
noticed that the darkest and most distinct feature of its plumage was on the
row of overlapping feathers on the folded wing which would be the upper inner
trailing edge of the wing. Each of these feathers had a long oval of light
brown surrounded by white along the length of the feather, and their effect
should produce a relatively dark bar next to the trailing edge of the inner
wing. I figured this must be an example of the tremendous variation in Herring
Gulls - I’ve seen some immatures which are extremely faded in Summer - and I
didn’t pay more attention at the time. But late last night as I was writing up
details of my list for eBird, I got to wondering if this might be a Glaucous
hybrid. I double-checked my Sibley for the Glaucous-like bill on Herring Gulls,
and a picture jumped out at me. The first summer Vega (Siberian) Herring Gull
most resembled my bird, although the bird I saw was even faded compared to that
Sibley plate. I have no experience with Vega Gull, but I’m putting it out there
as a possibility, for gull experts to consider. I’m hoping someone has seen
this bird or will see it, or can form an opinion from my photo & notes. I never
saw the bird’s tail, nor did I see it with spread wings, nor did I see it
directly next to another gull, so I apologize for the limited information.

Reference to my updated eBird list is below, which also shows up in the
Tompkins County rare birds list with less detailed notes.

Meanwhile I saw again a banded immature Great Black-backed Gull with a black
plastic band on its left leg with white lettering saying “4JF”. This bird was
hatched on Appledore Island, home of the Shoals Marine Lab, off the coast of
the Maine - New Hampshire border, and this is the second winter I have seen it
in Ithaca. Another observer this winter had remarked on how small this bird
looked and unlike a Great Black-backed. My photos show that while it may be
smaller than another Great Black-backed Gull, it is larger than a couple of
Herring Gulls, and it is much larger than a Ring-billed Gull.

- - Dave Nutter