Hi Anne.
Great questions.
Don't know about redpolls but I just read today ( Sibley's "What Its Like
To Be A Bird") that with chickadees the birds, themselves, can tell make
from female because the black bib on the males fluoresce more deeply than
on the female.
Trouble is, THAT is something OUR brains aren't wired to see.
Pete