I hope to see her tonight, and will pass on the request.  She is quite sure the
smaller birds are crows, however, as she sees them regularly.  At least I'll
get better information as to date/time/location.

Sandra

From: bounce-125570098-3493...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-125570098-3493...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Dave Nutter
<nutter.d...@me.com>
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2021 8:53 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] large dark bird

What would help is to know the location & date to determine a basic list of
what birds likely are in that area at that season.
Further information about habitat could also narrow down the likely species.

Then it would really help to get a copy of that video in front of another
experienced birder to judge the shape of both kinds of birds, including bill &
tail, and their relative size. It’s surprisingly easy to misjudge the size of
birds at a distance, so the fact that there are 2 species in view together is
your best help, and you must use shape, behavior, pattern & color to try to pin
down one of them. There could be some subtle information in that video that
would not be obvious everyone. Speed of walking is also a clue to size.

Assuming the video is from April in Northeastern US, and knowing the basics of
what blackish birds feed in flocks on the ground and tolerate each other, we
currently have lots of European Starlings and Common Grackles doing that.
Brown-headed Cowbirds are another possibility. Red-winged Blackbirds are more
territorial and single now but might also gather at a food source. American
Crows are also territorial now but could be either single or in small family
groups or again might gather at a large food source. Common Ravens are in some
places, but typically are chased off by Crows. Turkey Vultures (or rarely Black
Vultures) are also a possibility depending on the type of food put out, but
might also be chased off by Crows.

It’s common for people unfamiliar with Grackles to call them Crows, either
occasionally at a distance, or habitually. So, if you saw very long
wedge-shaped tails, that’s an ID for one species. Or the very short tails of
Starlings or the way they walk and probe, can help ID them. Even Crows and
Ravens have slightly different shapes and behaviors. And eagles and vultures
may also be distinguished by shape.

With all these unknowns and conjectures, I think a closer look at the video is
what’s needed.

- - Dave Nutter

On Apr 22, 2021, at 1:31 PM, Peter Saracino