I did some atlas work in New Michigan State Forest Chenango co. this
morning. There were several flyover small flocks of Red Crossbills. I was
able to get a couple of poor recordings as they were flying birds.  I had a
total of 13 RECR. Not sure of type. I sent my recordings to Matt Young. On
Schwartz Rd where the road crosses the swamp in some large spruces I heard
a probable bay breasted warbler, but only once! I didn't count it. I know
this song well. But I failed to get on it or hear it again.  It didn't
respond to playback.  It could be a late migrant but what is interesting is
I had a bay breasted singing same spot May 26, 2020. I checked the spot
last summer and didn't hear it. But the habitat looks very good. Lots of
spruces and some openings near a swamp. I will have to keep an eye on this.
It would be pretty cool to have a bay breasted warbler in summer Chenango
county. Mourning warblers are becoming quite common in the cut over areas.
I counted 18 in almost 10 miles.  I had 66 blackburnians, 35 magnolia, 110
ovenbirds, 64 chestnut sided, 34 black throated blues, 16 black throated
greens, and 8 Canadas among others. There were 27 dark eyed juncos, 10
white throated sparrows, 7 winter wrens, 27 golden crowned kinglets, 87 red
eyed vireos, and 18 blue headed vireos.  I had way more common ravens than
american crows too.

The habitat here continuing to change with more logging and strip cuts as
part of the DEC forest management plan.  There are more openings now vs 10
years ago hence mourning, Canada chestnut sided black throated blues have
really increased. Swainsons thrush is getting hard to find. I didn't get
any today.  But I assume there are still some around.

My ebird lists are here with some poor to fair recordings of several
species:.

https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S89665230

https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S89665436

https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S89665528