This is indeed a big year for both cuckoos in our region. It is typical for
their populations to fluctuate greatly, depending on where the outbreaks of
caterpillars are occurring.

On a Breeding Bird Survey route in Yates and Steuben Co. on Sunday, Martha
Fischer and I had 11 Yellow-billed and 7 Black-billed Cuckoos—about 10X our
usual count over the past 25 years. These kinds of fluctuations make it
difficult to track continent wide trends in populations for these species, both
of which have shown long-term declines since 1970.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone