Yeah, gypsy moth caterpillars stripped the slopes around West Danby pretty
bare. New leaves are popping now, but I guess any effect the defoliation may
have had on this year’s breeding is a done deal.

Still, this has happened before. Whatever the effect, I’m counting on the
resilience of West Danby’s little population of Worm-eating Warblers. For one
thing, they’re not limited to the Lindsay-Parsons Preserve, but have been found
in comparable habitat over a four mile stretch of the Cayuga Inlet valley wall.
During the last twenty-some years individual singing males have also turned up
in locations like Michigan Hollow, Hulburt Hollow and Beech Hill Brook,
sidetracks just off the target breeding area along the Cayuga Inlet valley.
Taken together, all this suggests the local population is well established. One
old guesstimate was 25 pairs. That still seems reasonable to me.

-Geo