Hi Reggie,

This isn't a hot water system heat pump, but we are very happy with the
performance of the heat pump we tied into our forced air ventilation
this summer.  It now is our heating source on days when it is above 25
or 30 degrees outside, and has the additional benefit that it can be
used to cool the house several degrees on the hottest summer days at
relatively low financial and environmental cost. Heat pumps are less
efficient at cold temperatures, and this one has to work harder when the
temperature drops below freezing, but so far we haven't had to switch to
our propane furnace although we will when it gets very cold.  Brian did
a lot of research before selecting one and the one he chose seems to be
well-made - it runs quietly and effectively.  (Note this is /not/ a
'split' system, this is a whole-house system.)

There probably are better and worse choices of make and model for all
heat pumps, and there also are shortages right now because people have
been doing pandemic renovations at the same time that there are supply
chain problems, so the best ones may be backordered.  But if you read up
on the options & if necessary are willing to wait for the right one to
come into stock, there are good heat pumps available, although they may
cost more initially. Probably the same is true for hot water heat pumps.

Another thought: tankless 'on demand' hot water systems save energy
because they don't maintain a tank of water at temperature and also they
don't waste energy heating long pipes that would otherwise lead from a
tank to the place the water is needed.  They aren't heat pumps but you
can get an electric one, and that might be a different way to more
efficiently meet your hot water needs if you are worried about the
viability of a heat pump.  In our house, the layout happens to allow for
a single unit to be installed within less than 10' of all our hot water
demand points, so we're going to try that. So far as I know, only the
$300 STAR credit is available for these units, though.

Good luck!

Alicia

P.S. Easily our most energy efficient change was the electric car Brian
pushed for us to get three years ago.  While electricity is only
relatively carbon free right now, and the grid is going to have to get
significantly more robust as more people use electricity for their cars
and heating sources, I still feel a lot less guilt when we go anywhere.
In addition to being much cheaper to 'fuel' it has the additional
benefit of requiring far less maintenance.  Tax rebates put the price
roughly in the ballpark of our non-electric car choices.  I am super
happy we got it - anyone who will be buying a car soon might want to
check out electric cars, especially since several models with 150+ mile
battery life already are on the market and 250+ miles are due next
year.  (I'm not including Teslas, Jaguars & Mercedes - we're not in the
that financial bracket!)