Hi all,
  I am writing to ask if you would be interested in counting birds for the Jan
1 Ithaca area Audubon Christmas Bird Count, which is coordinated by the Cayuga
Bird Club.  Specifically, there is a challenging route that John Fitzpatrick
has covered for the past 20 years, which he cannot cover this year.  He has
been asking around and has written up the following detailed description of the
route, which is in Area IV in the town of Dryden.  It follows Cascadilla Creek
as it parallels Thomas Road, between Rte 79 and Ellis Hollow Creek Road.

Here is Fitz's description:
"For a couple decades I’ve been doing a really fun, productive, largely walking
route on the Ithaca CBC every January 1. Now that I’ve joined the migratory
flocks, I’ll be doing a CBC in Florida on that same day instead, for the second
year in a row. Last year Eliot Miller did the route, but he’s tied up this year
on New Year’s Day and can’t participate. I’m worried that this route will go
begging.  Warning, it’s pretty “physical.”

Basically, it’s a walk from Caroline School area up the headwater riffles of
6-mile Creek, through those marshes and beaver ponds near the divide (below the
Thomas Rd. B&B) and continuing down the first several miles of Cascadilla
Creek. I typically get all the way down to Genung Road, then break off and do a
couple other things (see below) before dark.  Not coincidentally, my house is
about a mile upstream from Genung Rd., and I get there right around noon for
lunch and working the bird feeders, scanning for hawks over the valley, etc.

This route provides the Ithaca CBC most (occasionally all) of its Song Sparrows
(I aim for >30) and often its only Swamp Sparrows (I aim for 5). It has also
provided its share of “bonus” birds, including Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Gray
Catbird, Hermit Thrush, Field Sparrow (one year I had 3), Snow Bunting (fields
by Caroline School), plus “rare but regular” spp. such as E Bluebird, Ruffed
Grouse, Winter Wren, N Flicker, etc. All three owls are on the route, and one
year I had an unexpected Long-eared Owl calling its low hoot above Thomas Road
just before dawn while trolling for Screech Owls."

IF you think you might be up for this, or know anyone else who might be, please
let me know!  This falls in "area IV" of the count circle, and I am the
coordinator for this area.  Also, I am sure Fitz would be more than happy to
answer any questions.

Here is a link to the Cayuga Bird Club's webpage describing the count.
https://www.cayugabirdclub.org/resources/christmas-bird-count
And here is a link to an interactive map of the count circle. You can zoom in
to Thomas Road and see the path of Cascadilla Creek.

https://audubon.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=d4c508bc191d4bed9a8d736fd43bc528&extent=-76.8983,42.2769,-75.9603,42.6291

Let me know if you have any questions, or any suggestions for others who may be
able to do this if you cannot.  Thanks,
Laura

Laura Stenzler
l...@cornell.edu