Hello Cayuga Birders,

Just a couple quick updates.

The hay fields near Freese and Hanshaw Roads that have been mowed right at
fledging time for Bobolinks, Meadowlarks, and other grassland birds was
mowed again this year at that critical time for birds.

Some good news is that we continue to discuss the issue with folks at
Cornell, and are very happy that staff with the Lab of Ornithology, Cornell
Botanic Gardens (which manages lots of grassland throughout the county),
and the College of Ag and Life Sciences are meeting fairly frequently to
pull together ideas for research and to arrive at practical solutions.

Finally, the issue of managing grasslands for birds and agriculture is
highlighted in the June issue of Birding magazine (from the American
Birding Association).  Our work with Cornell University is prominently
highlighted in the article ("The Grassland Conundrum").

Jody

Jody W. Enck, PhD
Conservation Social Scientist, and
Founder of the Sister Bird Club Network