Our house wren drove away a rat!

On 7/23/2022 10:39 AM, Linda Orkin wrote:
I can’t believe how effective they are at driving away any and all competitors
and threats. We’ve been watching them in a nest box in our front yard for what
seems like about a month. It appears also that there are three adult
participants but I have no actual proof just observational. I know they have
some different parenting strategies but do not know if they clutch twice in a
row in the same nest box. They successfully drive away blue jays, red
squirrels, chipmunks, even hummingbirds at the trumpet vine not that close to
the box.  but I can’t help wondering at what cost to their own well being. They
seem to never be at rest.  Anyway just a few moments of bird contemplation on a
Saturday morning.

Linda Orkin
Ithaca, NY