This June, the Cayuga Bird Club installed its second Motus station for
detection of radio-tagged migratory birds. This new station is located on
Cornell University property near the Hartung-Boothroyd Observatory on Mount
Pleasant. With this receiver and our Motus receiver at Myers Point, we are
supporting research that uses radio telemetry to study migration. When a
radio-tagged bird flies by a Motus receiver, the location, date, and time
of its detection is logged and shared with the international Motus network,
which is operated by Birds Canada (motus.org). The more receivers there are
along migration routes, the more details can be learned about flight
trajectories and migration timing for a variety of species.

We have just learned of our first detection at Mount Pleasant. On August
11, a *Semipalmated Plover* was detected on its southward flight. This bird
had been tagged on Hudson Bay in Manitoba in June. It was next detected on
August 11 by Motus stations on the south shore of Lake Ontario and at
Montezuma NWR before flying by Mount Pleasant. The most recent report for
the plover was in North Carolina, August 13. A map of the bird’s trajectory
can be seen at https://motus.org/data/track?tagDeploymentId=33465.

We are looking forward to learning what other birds will fly by our Motus
stations during Fall migration, and to seeing where they go. Two of the
birds detected by our Myers Point Motus station last fall made it to
Central America: a Tennessee Warbler to Costa Rica, and a Swainson’s Thrush
to Panama!

To learn more about Cayuga Bird Club’s Motus project, go to
www.cayugabirdclub.org/motus <https://sites.google.com/site/cbc14850/motus>.

Diane Morton

Cayuga Bird Club