I had to pick up my daughter at the Ithaca Airport last night, so I went early
(5:30) to see the Short-eared Owls. From Snyder Road near the western corner of
the solar farm, I watched one in flight for several minutes. The snow was
flying too, and when the light dimmed, I walked SE along the road to the point
where it turns east and leaves the airport fence. Watchers there had seen
several owls. I briefly caught sight of another one silhouetted against the
lighted buildings across the distant runway. Eventually I turned and retraced
my steps. At about 6:25 I was again walking past the solar farm. It was
completely dark, but I could hear the owls barking and screaming just over the
fence. At 6:30 my daughter’s plane came in from the SE, drowning out the owls
and telling me it was time to leave. Lots of fun! If you go, I suggest 5:15 or
even earlier.

-Geo