Yesterday afternoon, I watched as clouds and clouds of snow geese descended
across Route 79, going from north to south, and appeared to land in ag fields.
I think there were thousands, but there was no way to count but the process
went on for 10 minutes or more. I was watching from Sheffield Road,
Ithaca/Enfield town line. I drove around but never could find the fields they
may have landed in.

This morning, I watched a stream of black birds cross my property from the east
and cross Sheffield Road to land across the street in the horse farm there.
There were dozens in any cross section you might cut through the stream and it
went on for over 5 minutes. I clearly saw a good proportion of grackles, could
see their tails. I saw some smaller, compact birds that could have been
cowbirds. But other than the grackle tails, I couldn't see anything well enough
to identify species.

One interesting point was that a home fuel oil truck drove past and when it
went under the stream of birds, they were clearly buffeted by the turbulence.
They were about 15 or 20 feet above the truck.

And I saw 7 bluebirds in my yard today.

Deb

Deborah G. Grantham
Director, Northeastern Integrated Pest Management Center
Cornell Institute for Resource Information Sciences
Faculty Fellow, Cornell Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future Cornell
University

The Northeastern IPM Center is based at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.
Cornell University sits on the traditional homelands of the Cayuga
Nation<https://cals.cornell.edu/american-indian-indigenous-studies/about/land-acknowledgment>.

100B Rice Hall, 340 Tower Road
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-8879