This morning at 7:24am from our kitchen window I saw my first-of-year Osprey
flying south over the Flood Control Channel past Inlet Island and the NYS-89
bridge, clearly hunting for fish despite the practicing rowing crews.

Despite being out at Allan Treman State Marine Park yesterday morning for
nearly 3 hours, and finding 47 species, I managed to miss the Osprey which Suan
observed from Stewart Park. People walking at Treman have been asking for weeks
whether the Ospreys are back and when I expect them. They are our Charismatic
Megafauna, although Bald Eagles are also popular. I think March 26 was my
previous early record, but I have been expecting a sighting any day for the
past several.

- - Dave Nutter