As I was walking home at 7:52pm (well after sunset) from Allan Treman on the
Cayuga Waterfront Trail next to Taughannock Boulevard past Cass Park I saw the
Snow Goose, still on the lawn between the trail and Cayuga Inlet. It has worked
its way farther north, opposite Union Fields, and at mid-day I had seen it next
to a local pair of Canada Geese in that area, but the Canadas were gone by
dusk. This evening I stopped a hundred yards away to look at the Snow Goose.
The bird is alert and certainly knows the difference between a runner or walker
who goes past without stopping and doesn’t care at all about a goose therefore
is safe to ignore, and a person staring at it even from a distance. The goose
immediately walked over to the edge of the lawn at the top of the embankment.
So, it knows that people can be threatening and that the water is a safer
place, which is appropriate. But I crossed the street and walked along the
opposite shoulder to give it extra room, then returned later to the trail and
glanced back. The goose stayed up on the lawn. I think going down & up the
embankment must be extra effort for it, worth staying on land overnight.

By the way, I think it’s normal for a grazing goose to rest occasionally during
the day by sitting down to digest awhile.

- - Dave Nutter