Hi everyone,
I check out the fields at the eastern end of Mt Pleasant Rd twice today.
Once by car: I stopped to look and listen for Horned Larks. Nothing. Usually by
now, if they're there, I would have noticed their display flights high in the
sky over the fields.
But I DID notice an Eastern Meadowlark singing from, the ground.
Three American Kestrels on the wires and perched on poles over the fields.
Back near home around 11:30 am a Red-shouldered a hawk was calling loudly as it
circled high above. Last I saw it was headed toward Laura's place 😁 A
first-year male Purple Finch at my feeder.

Then this afternoon, Mt Pleasant Road on foot. Still no Horned Larks. But an
Eastern Meadowlark singing from high in a tree by the observatory. A female
kestrel suddenly flying from (out of...I think) a nest box, either already
nesting in there or checking it out.
As others have noted there's been a sudden influx of Dark-eyed Juncos...now
many trilling away in concert with the spring peepers. Delightful!
Marie