Ann Mitchell & I made a late start north from Ithaca hoping to see the American
White Pelican. I had assumed we didn’t have to hurry because the north wind and
rain showers made bird migration unappealing. We were north of Union Springs
when I was surprised to get word that the Pelican actually had gotten up and
flown north. We arrived at Harris Park in time to meet Gary, who had just
packed up his scope. He showed us a recognizable photo of the distant swimming
Pelican through more shimmer than I anticipated on such a cool day.

Ann & I took a tour of Montezuma, but did not see the Pelican on any of the
large pools, though we did find several Black Terns among the many Swallows
over Tschache Pool.  Ann wanted to look for Common & Forster’s Terns, so on our
way home we stopped at the Cayuga Lake State Park boat ramp.

Almost the first thing we noticed was a huge white blob on the lake in the
shimmery distance. Its wings had black flight feathers when it occasionally
flapped. Otherwise it looked like a Mute Swan, with a massive white body and
long white neck, except it also had a straight orange bill so long that it
nearly reached down to the water. Evidently the Pelican, having flown around a
bit, decided that hanging out with feeding gulls and cormorants on the lake was
the best option after all.

Shimmer is worst when you look through the air close to the water’s surface,
where the humidity and temperature of the water is changing the density of the
air. We found that by moving up to the parking lot for the park and setting up
our scopes at the top of the stairs above the playground and the concrete
fishing pier we could look down through less murkiness and see the birds more
clearly. Twenty feet of elevation made a big difference. Even so, we needed
scopes, and my photos were horrendous. The Pelican was still on the lake when
we left about 4:30pm. Perhaps it will remain tomorrow if the north wind and
rain start up soon enough in the morning to deter its urge to soar in the early
morning calm.

- - Dave Nutter