I agree with Marie. However there is an alternative. Last year I found a
product called “Bird Jelly”. It is manufactured by Lizzie Mae’s Bird Seed and
Dry Good in Millersburg, OH. Go to www.LizzieMaesBirdSeed.com. Ingredients:
Cane sugar, Grapes, water, pectin, Lemon Juice, Citric Acid. It says on the
label that it is an “Excellent choice for all jelly eating birds”. Also says
NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. I’ve used this last year and the Orioles and
Catbirds seem to really like it, and I think it is better for them than jelly
bought in a grocery store made for human consumption. I found this at the Wild
Bird Center in Horseheads, NY. Oh, and it is grape flavored. Says on the label
“Amish Farm to Backyard Feeder". “Let the birds get their jam on!”. I’ve got an
18 oz. jar for $8.

Ken Haas
Mecklenburg
www.KenHaasPhotos.com

> On May 3, 2024, at 8:14 PM, Marie P. Read <m...@cornell.edu> wrote:
>
> Thanks for this reminder, John. I always feel a sense of despair when I know
> people are feeding grape jelly or any other fruit preserve. Complete with
> added flavorings and colors. Killjoy that I am, I view it as junk food for
> birds. (Yes I know that sugar water could be considered that too). My orioles
> get oranges, period! And BTW catbirds and woodpeckers also like oranges.
> Marie

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")