Hi,

A few weeks ago I asked for suggestions on local stores that had
binoculars for sale with models to try.  Several people asked if I could
let the list know what I found.

1. A friend suggested I call _Home Office Sport Supply_ over near Penn
Yan.  Ivan Martin, the proprietor, has a bunch of models for people to
try, at all price points, from Alpin to Zerotech.  He doesn't carry
Swarovski or Leica but had just about every other brand I've ever heard
of, including Zeiss, Kowa, Nikon, Miopta, Celestron, and other birding
brands.  His prices are excellent, usually significantly below list, and
he is happy to have people look outside for as long as they wish at
fields, distant barns, and the birds that stop by, trying different
models.  Finally I settled on the make & model I wanted but Ivan had
them only in 8x42 & not in 10x42, which were turned out to be
backordered by the distributor.  I had a deadline so he suggested they
might be on the shelf elsewhere and seemed almost as pleased that I had
found what I liked as if he had made the sale himself.  Anyway, I highly
recommend Ivan at Home Office Sport Supply, it was well worth the drive
IMO - not only was I able to try many different binoculars there, if he
could have gotten them for me I would have saved quite a bit.  Ivan's
number is 315-536-8705, he has no website.

2. _Optics4Birding <https://www.optics4birding.com/>_ is a web-based
business in California.  Pete, who seems to be the person who runs the
place, is very patient. I talked with him both before and after I went
over to Ivan's.  After asking me what I was looking for in a binocular,
what binoculars I've used previously, and how I bird, he really helped
me narrow down what to think seriously about.  Pete had my 10x42s in
stock and sold them at the standard price, 2 Day Shipping included - I
ordered Friday afternoon and they arrived Monday morning.  I had a
completely good experience ordering with Pete, if there were a way to
try his binoculars it would be perfect.  His website looks pretty
primitive in layout but it has tons of good information and lots of
binocular makes and models.

3. List members kindly passed on several additional suggestions that,
for one reason or another, didn't work out for me but might for someone
else.

  * The BIrd House in Pittsford: very nice & helpful person on the
    phone, sounds like they have a good range of mid-priced and starter
    binos from Celestron, Nikon, and Vortex.
  *   WIld Birds Unlimited in Horseheads: tried phone number listed on
    their website twice during normal business hours and got no answer
    and no message.  Since I solved my problem elsewhere didn't try again.
  * Bass Pro in Auburn: person in the department that handles binoculars
    said he had never heard of Swarovski binoculars. Maybe he was a fill
    in?  But I didn't persist.

Hope this helps someone!

Alicia

--

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")