Hi Alex,

dpkg will tell you which package of cache you installed with your OS software installation tool. configure ; make ; make install is independent of that tool. You can check which version is being picked up in your PATH like so...

$ ccache --version

You can see where ccache is in your path like so...

$ which ccache

What you'll need to do in uninstalled ccache with dpkg, then do make install again. ccache --version should be the latest then. Keep in mind that you can have bother versions installed. One installed in /usr, the other installed in /usr/local. make install typically puts things in /usr/local unless you give configure a --prefix=/usr. You can set the PATH env var to pick up /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin. This would also work (but dpkg will only report whatever version it installed). Check ccache --version after doing this...

$ export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

Good luck.

Thanks,
Reuben