It might not be expected for cpp to be a symlink to ccache but with
ccache-v2.4 it did used to work so I found it easier for our build
system just to symlink everything in the toolchain directory to ccache.

Unfortunately between v2.4 (Debian Lenny version) and v3.1.4 the
behaviour seems to have changed. When running the preprocessor ccache
doesn't seem to realise that it should write the output to stdout.

Here's a recipe to reproduce the problem:

$ echo "Hello world" > test.h
$ /usr/bin/ccache --version
ccache version 2.4
Copyright Andrew Tridgell 2002
Released under the GNU GPL v2 or later
$ ln -sf /usr/bin/ccache cpp
$ ./cpp test.h
# 1 "test.h"
# 1 "<built-in>"
# 1 "<command-line>"
# 1 "test.h"
Hello world
$ ln -sf /tmp/ccache-3.1.4/bin/ccache cpp
$ ./cpp test.h

I can avoid this by only linking the compiler name to ccache but I
thought this regression might confuse other people too.

Thanks.

Mike.