On 2011-07-23 15:09, Shentino wrote:
> Does ccache take macro switches into account when it preprocesses?

ccache takes all switches into account in the first step (called the
direct mode), but if that doesn't result in a cache hit, it then ignores
-D and similar switches in the second step when using the preprocessor,
under the assumption that such switches will change the preprocessor
output if they have any effect at all. See
http://ccache.samba.org/manual.html#_how_ccache_works for a more
detailed description.

> For example, -DRANDOM_MACRO 's side effect is purely to introduce said
macro
> during preprocessing but beyond that has no effect on actual compilation.
>
> Yet I have a source file that doesn't define such a macro, and it doesn't
> get cached.  However, the compiler generates the same object file with or
> without it.

It's expected to get a "cache hit (preprocessed)" if you add a
-DRANDOM_MACRO that isn't used by the source (and you previously have
compiled the same thing without the switch, of course). If you get a
cache miss, then ccache detects something else. You can probably find
out what by setting CCACHE_LOGFILE=ccache.log and reading the resulting
log file. You can read more on
http://ccache.samba.org/manual.html#_troubleshooting.

-- Joel