On 11/11/2012 06:15 PM, Joel Rosdahl wrote:
On 9 November 2012 15:48, Mathias De Maré
<mathias.de_m...@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
[...]
Is there any other way to achieve the desired effect?
As you already mentioned, building identical objects only once or
changing working directory to the target directory would solve the
problem. I have no other ideas, sorry.
I was able to modify our build system to support this way of working.
I now build inside the target directory, using symlinks to the sources.

Now, I actually have another issue which is partly related.
It seems building for multiple targets with the preprocessor mode and compiler option '-g' doesn't work for us.
The preprocessed file contains the location where the build is executed.
An example:
# 1 "src/foo.cpp"
# 1 "/home/mdemare/testdir/target2//" <--- this is an issue!
# 1 "<built-in>"
# 1 "<command-line>"
# 1 "src/foo.cpp"
int main() {
    return 0;
}
If I build for one target in '/home/mdemare/testdir/target1' and for another target in '/home/mdemare/testdir/target2', this results in a cache miss. Using the direct mode (since there is no preprocessing), this issue does not occur.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is something that ccache should change when using 'CCACHE_BASEDIR'.

Note 1: I am not setting the CCACHE_HASHDIR variable.
Note 2: I cannot use direct mode due to bug 8424.
Note 3: I am using ccache 3.1.8.

Greetings,
Mathias