Hi Andreas,

> [...] I understand that it makes
> sense to make the current working directory canonic, but I do not
> see why this done for the path given to `make_relative_path`.  Is
> it really necessary?

Some background can be found in this mail thread:

*https://www.mail-archive.com/ccache@lists.samba.org/msg00802.html
<https://www.mail-archive.com/ccache@lists.samba.org/msg00802.html>*

The summary is that we want to normalize the paths to increase cache hits,
and one simple and robust way of doing that is to use realpath. Writing a
custom function that both normalizes paths and doesn't expand symlinks
might be possible, but note that there are tricky edge cases that need to
be handled.

> Thank you for considering it.  A patch is in the attachment.

ccache has a test suite and it fails like this with your patch:

Running test suite basedir...
FAILED

Test suite:     basedir
Test case:      Path normalization
Failure reason: Expected "cache hit (direct)" to be 1, actual 0

[From your original mail:]
> For directories they do not work on, but are required to build the sources
> they work on, they create a symbolic link to a reference area in which
> only stuff required for building resides. [...] Now, assume user1 sets
> `base_dir` to `/user1` and user2 sets `base_dir` to `/user2`.

If I understand your setup correctly, would it be possible to instead put
/reference, /user1 and /user2 under a /common directory and then let the
users set basedir to /common?

-- Joel