From: joel.rosd...@gmail.com [mailto:joel.rosd...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Joel
Rosdahl
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 3:57 PM
To: Forte, Greg <greg.fo...@msx.bala.susq.com>
Cc: ccache@lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [ccache] ccache test failures

On 16 March 2018 at 12:52, Forte, Greg via ccache <ccache@lists.samba.org>
wrote:
> Tried this with and without CCACHE_DIR set and exported - with it, I
> see the same output you showed, including the unset, and the test
> still fails: [...]

OK.

What's common between the two tests that fail for you is that you don't get a
cache hit for a second compilation in another directory. One way to understand
why is to log all data that is hashed by ccache in the two cases and see where
it starts to differ. There is a crude way of doing that already: Build ccache
with -DCCACHE_DEBUG_HASH and set CCACHE_DEBUG_HASH at runtime. Each ccache
invocation will then create a ccache-debug-hash.bin that contains the hashed
data, so you could compare the files in the two different directories. Or send
them to me (private mail) and I'll have a look.

By the way, here's a sketch of a yet unimplemented feature what would make this
kind of debugging easier: https://github.com/ccache/ccache/issues/226

-- Joel

________________________________

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this email and/or its attachments is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately by reply and immediately delete this message and all its
attachments. Any review, use, reproduction, disclosure or dissemination of this
message or any attachment by an unintended recipient is strictly prohibited.
Neither this message nor any attachment is intended as or should be construed
as an offer, solicitation or recommendation to buy or sell any security or
other financial instrument. Neither the sender, his or her employer nor any of
their respective affiliates makes any warranties as to the completeness or
accuracy of any of the information contained herein or that this message or any
of its attachments is free of viruses.