Congratulation!
Thanks,
 Loyd Bracero | Philippines |loyd.brac...@fluor.com | O +6332.402.5276 |
IODC 75.5276X

From:   "Kevin Sheahan" <sheaha...@gmail.com>
To:     <ccie_security@onlinestudylist.com>,
Date:   11/21/2013 11:10 PM
Subject:        [OSL | CCIE_Security] CCIE Sec Pass
Sent by:        ccie_security-boun...@onlinestudylist.com

Gents,

It is with great pleasure that I can tell you I’ve passed my CCIE Security
Lab on Tuesday in RTP. It has been a very difficult year both personally
and professionally to prepare for this exam. This was my third attempt.
For study, I leaned very heavily on IPExpert’s material/intructors/racks.
Piotr Kaluzny – I can’t speak highly enough about this guy – suffice it to
say that if you are feeling lost, get his attention and he will lead you
in the right direction. His expertise, patience, and all around
cool-dudeness are sincerely appreciated and valuable when you start to
feel like you’re drowning in the blueprint. I also used my own personal
hardware and read A LOT of Cisco configuration guides pertaining to
blueprint (There are a lot of “Notes” in those config guides that provide
great info).

Lessons learned:

-        My strategy played a very large role in time management and
organization during the exam.
o   Build a table to keep track of…. EVERYTHING:
§  Obj | Points |  Desc  | V1 | V2 | Comments
1.1         4       ASAMC    F                Unable to ping <subnet>,
check later
1.2         5       IPS-IVP    P                Re-verify @ end, core
objective.
§  I would create and fill out this table (first 3 columns) as I’m reading
through the lab at the beginning. The “Comments” section became extremely
useful for me to shorten the amount of end-lab verification because
instead of re-reading the objective for verification I would only have to
see what I wrote down from previous verification failures. Anything with a
“P” for pass in the V2 column should be money in the bank, ensure that
you’ve paid attention to the fine details in the objective which can cause
loss of points.
o   Prep the lab:
§  Pager 20 / Term length 20
·        This will allow you to execute long-output show commands later in
the day without the screen scrolling away from you. This should be done on
ALL devices.
§  Logging
·        ASA
o   Logging console warnings / Logging on – This will tell you throughout
your lab when your ASA is denying traffic due to ACL and/or NAT failures.
Very useful!
·        IOS
o   Logging console – This will tell you when routing processes drop, when
ISAKMP is ON/OFF, etc. As well, this will allow for your debug output to
show up.
§  Suspicion
·        Switches and Routers
o   Show access-list – Check for ACLs, you may find some that were
designed to screw with you and you may find some that are legitimately
necessary. Don’t change/add/remove ACL’s at this point, just make note of
them at the bottom on the page where you created your tracking table. This
will make troubleshooting simpler and faster later on.
o   Show run – This is not a fine-tooth-comb type check. Just briefly
scroll through the running-config for every IOS device. If something looks
out of place (CoPP, CoPr, STP/Routing manipulation, etc), jot it down
below your tracking table for reference later.
o   Draw a diagram?
§  I didn’t do this, but it’s up to your personal preference. My feeling
is that the topology on the monitor is in great detail and only a few
clicks away. That, and I’ve managed to make a distracting mess everytime
in my life I’ve tried to draw a quick diagram.
o   Quicksand
§  This may be the same for you, maybe not. But for me,  there is a point
(or a few) where I feel like the lab is swallowing me. Something is not
working the way I want it to, logs are scrolling, devices are
misbehaving…. DON’T PANIC. Move away from that objective, mark it down in
your table and move on. That feeling, like you’re sinking fast in
quicksand, is the enemy.
o   Close it out
§  I’m not sure of the rules/points impact of some of the above changes,
namely changing the term length and enabling console logging. To be safe,
script changes for the end of the exam to remove this changes quickly if
time permits. Better safe than sorry I guess.

I’m very excited to enjoy the holidays and a nice long study break. Good
luck and work hard at it, absolutely worth the achievement!

Kevin Sheahan
Free CCIE R&S, Collaboration, Data Center, Wireless & Security Videos ::

iPexpert on YouTube: www.youtube.com/ipexpertinc